Thursday, November 10, 2005

Compromise...Really?

I have been thinking about this word which we use quite often. Especially after I heard someone speak about it Last Sunday. Well it is a quality which is held in high regard by many who are considered wise and experienced. So much so that some people say that it is a way of life. And now I have a feeling I too am doing that and compromising what I want to say.

I wonder why people say that compromising is a must or what is even worse that it is a good thing.
Is life so strewn with difficulties that we can't take decisions that we want to? Or is it because we are looking for the easy way out of things?

Maybe I have got the usage of the word wrong and will now try to make clear the compromise I am talking about. The compromise I am talking about is the way people allow circumstances to take control of them and not actually make decisions. The dilutions of one's values for a percieved gain(be they material or emotional) is what I would call a compromise. Failing to voice out one's thoughts when one hears something that one thinks is wrong is also a form of compromise( and cowardice).

The fact that we bow to pressure of the moment rather than depend on the lessons which experience has taught us, is something which might seem innocuous but is a step towards the making of a person who is becoming what the person does not want to be. And then we know that what we have done is cowardly but then it becomes a habit. We go on compromising and we longer are the persons we once were.
I know that one can argue that we sometimes do change for the better but that is different because at that time we make a conscious decision and we take a different kind of decision because we feel and realise that the way we have been going isn't really right. It isn't just a flowing in the direction that the stream is taking us but thinking and deciding.
So what exactly am I railing against? I am not saying we shouldn't try to understand and comfort others but failing to respond in the way which you know is right is downright cowardly.I am not against giving in to the likes of a loved one but to give up your values and your whole bing at the time of making a choice is what bugs me.
When one also lets things shape him rather than the person shaping the things around the situation after sometime is one which would lead to trouble. Even though it appears to be an admirable thing to allow things to the way they are it just another case of us being afraid to the situation head on.

It is this compromising which has allowed our country to reach the present state where people who would otherwise consider themselves to be strict when it comes to morals turn a blind eye to corruption. A case in point being the use of fake documents to get things done. Another thing which doesn't seem to be a big deal many people even of my generation seem to have a different birthday for the register. What exactly are we trying to achieve?

I have more to say about that but I have a feeling that I have sidetracked a bit in corruption but compromising leads to corruption.

So why do I have so much against compromising? I think that should be bit obvious but still to state the obvious. At a personal level it leads to the sapping of the person who is being shaped. It leads to dwarfing of personalities which could have blossomed into things of even more beauty. One might still be a good person but the true potential is not realised because of the tendency not to go with the heart and the mind. And at the community level we can see for oursleves each day what compromise leads to.

I still haven't put out everything which was in my mind but at this point of time I think this is enough but probably there would be more later.( who cares? but I hope I keep blogging)

So ................UNCOMPROMISE........... BE YOUR TRUE SELF AND THE WAY YOU WANT YOUR TRUE SELF TO BE(Sounds cliched,I know but need to take the message to heart)

4 comments:

Y. Kamesh Rao said...

hi sajeev,

great dude....
after "the alchemist" and "one night at the call center" i encounter your post...everybody around me is saying no compromise...follow your dreams...devil is also doing its work by giving me second thoughts of comforting the elder community around me at home...but at this stage your side is winning...thank you for such an inspirational stuff...i think i will uncompromise...

great post....
and do continue blogging...
by the way even i have posted new stuff....but its not creative this time

Y. Kamesh Rao said...

i remember sending a comment to this already...i dont know why it didn't appear...

Still i would repeat myself

The article is reaaly good and motivating

After The ALchemist and One Night @ The Call Center , i encountered your article....it seems to me all these are signals from the almighty at this stage of my life when i was so near to compromising stuff....i tied to a rope and being pulled at either sides by diffrent forces...thanks sajeev for this article...great one...

i updated my blog too...check it out

Anonymous said...

Hi ...Jus went thru ur Blog...Sply the compromising one...Good one...
I have something to say about that...

I always appreciate assertivenes.
But that doesnt mean we have to be selfish and stamp on innocence.
Do what seems to be right for u.
U have to make the hearer belive that u r speaking U also win & I also win.It is the strategy.
But once u have expressed ur opinion and ppl are forcing u to take it back, never do that. It means killing urself. But when u do this, never stamp on innocence and never mock at innocent dreams. One more thing is that, dont always get into argument with ppl who have got no brains. No matter how much u talk, they wont get. so better dont waste ur energy. Keep silence and u will find that u can charge urself with energy for a worthwhile argument.

Well this was jus wat i felt...
Any comments..do tell.

Anonymous said...

really true sajeev..
I have myself felt the struggle when I had to keep myself from compromising...but those that I have really stood up for with God's grace...has turned out to be such beautiful days and moments...
Had I known how this wud have turned out then..I wudnnt have had to struggle so much...but then where is Growth without the struggle???