Monday, February 20, 2006

IIM-L GD/Interview experience

Date: 20th Feb
Time : 2pm
Venue: IIM-B
Panel: VI

Topic for testing of writing skills(thats what it was according to the panelist) and GD:
'Peace and harmony can not exist without the threat of violence'
The GD was good, I talked about the fear of violence acting as a negative incentive for something positive. Also talked about nuclear detterence and how the threat does not actually lead to proper relationships at a personal level. Had more talk aobut but couldn't come in. But overall I think I did ok.
The noise levels were ok(compared to Hyd TIME GDs it was positively peaceful but high level of noise compared to IIM-I GD)
After the GD was over, they say that everyone would be called in the order that they were called in for GD. That makes me last , so I go and ask them if they could reschedule mine as I had a train at 6:45 but they said they would finish by 5:00(this was at 2:40 and we were 9)

They come and call the first person at 3 and almost everyone comes out with sweat on the brow. The geezers stressing everybody out with acads Everyone is having an interview duration somewhere between 7-12 min.
My turn finally comes after a not as long as anticipated wait but by that I want to finish and rush and catch the train.By the way the time was 4:30.

Ok the people inside are are the Oldie(O), the Not-so-old-oldie(N) and me(M)

O:So describe yourself.
M: blah blah and more blah
(N in the mean time is going through my marksheets and certificates)
O: so what time is your train:
M:6:45
O: How much time to station?
M: around 1 hour
O: So you are not tense?
M: No sir
O: So you will reach on time?
M: yes
O: you going directly to station?
M:Sir I am thinking of going to Cantonement and picking my luggage and then going
O: Are Cantonment and station in the same direction?
M: Almost ,a little diversion

N is still looking into my marks while I try to make eye contact with him.

O: So you are a trainee Software engineer?
M:Yes
O: Asks about training, dates...
M: blah
O: So how much are you getting now?
M: ....
O: After becoming SE?
M:...
O : So .... on hand?
M: maybe something like .....
(... indicates that I get poorly paid compared to some people around here)
O: are you satisfied with the packet?
M: yes sir

O: why management?
M: blah blah(around 3-4 sentences)
O indicates to N to ask, N in the meantime has figured out the subjects in which I go the least marks

N: What are Nueral Networks?
M: try to answer and answer to a certain extent by contrasting with normal computers
N: how do they learn?
M: using weights. comparing outputs with desired outputs, the weights to inputs are adjusted.
N: What are language processors?
While I am still trying to answer around 4 seconds
N: some language processors?
M:compilers
N: Compiler for Fortran?
M: don't know
N: for Cobol?
M thinking
N: what does a compiler do?
M: convert the program to machine language
N: how?
and before I could open my mouth
N: what is special about machine language?
M: all in the form of 1s and 0s
N: what is that called?
M: binary
N: can you read machine language?
M: it is difficult but if we have code for instructions it is possible
N: do you remember anything directly in Machine language?
M thinking
N: I know, do you know(he is literally jumping in the seat)
M: no sir
N: 1 in machine language is also coded as 1
( I was like was it meant to be a joke)
N: you can leave
M: thanks

duration of interview around 7-8 mins




Also posted on Pagalguy.com.

No comments: