Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Finally my IIM-K experience!

It has been sometime since I have posted and I still haven't recovered fully from the loss of my IIM-K post which I foolishly lost due to my laziness.(how lazy can one get? Failing to copy and paste before hitting the button is abysmal but unfortunately this the way I am). So I wasn't going to post that experience till the time someone actually told me that there are people who want to read my experience. So I am making the effort again but last time it was real long but I doubt if it will be anywhere near that length this time around. So here goes.

the venue was IIM-B again and by this time I knew the route better than the autowallas. The time given to me was 2 :00 pm(on the 21st of March) and I reach the place around 1:15pm. I went to the CPP block and in a short time we had the verification of our certificates.

There were 9 participants in our panel and then there were 2 who were supposed to evaluate us.
The seating was a bit odd and we didn't have access to the table to write(not that I write). Then we were given the topic , 'Indian economy is over-regulated and under-governed'.
I was quiet and didn't talk as much as I could have(but there were people who talked even less than I did) and everyone in general didn't have much to talk as we seemed to bottom out on the knowledge front. But inspite of that there were people hogging the discussion and there were instants of different individuals talking at the same time.
It lasted for 10 minutes and we were out.
One of the profs tried to crack a joke as we went out.

The interviews started and those who went in and came out asked the next person in the queue to go in after 60 seconds or 1 minute(eh). I was 7th and till I my turn came they seemed to be happy to carry on with routine. However, I was made to wait for around 15 to 20 minutes with them shoeing me the palm, indicating that I should wait around 3-4 times. By the time one of them came to call me in I was like 'finally!'

Till now the average time inside was 14 minutes and I go in at 4:05pm.
And here is how it went.

P1: Why were you maintaining a low profile in the GD?
Me: Sir, I made a few points and also listening is as important and i like to listen so the I learn.
P2: Even as a manager you will only listen?
Me: I will listen but form my own opinion and when the need arises I will talk
P1: So let us see how strong you are in your academics especially quantitative skills.
I smile rather grin

P1: What are your areas which are your strengths?
Me: sir, I got a 100/100 in probability in engineering exams ..
P1(interrupts and in a mock putting together of hands in the namskar position as if he is asking me to relieve him from his troubles): I am asking for your strengths now and you are giving me history ..
Me: sir, the very fact that I mentioned that would indicate that I think those are my strengths and I would like to be asked about that.
P1: asks a few questions, asks me to draw a some curve and tries to act frustrated and asks on which axis probability is shown and as I explain he refuses to listen and finally say that you are confusing me.
P2: so what about differential calculus. Can you solve any problem?
Me: while I do not particularly consider it a strong point, I think given some time I can solve the problem
P2: ok, we will believe you on that one

P2: You said(wrote in the application form) you are not very hard-working, why?
Me: SO far, I didn't have to work rally hard for anything, rather I haven't felt the need.
P2: So your academics are a reflection of that?
Me: Not only that, my handwriting was bad, in the form it is much better
(P1, P2 laugh)
P1: yes, I saw you struggling to draw a curve
P2: So you are working?
Me; yes sir
P2: tell us about the company
Me: blah ...
P2: your work
Me: I used to do something but now I am not doing any work
P1: What you are getting paid without working ? How?
Me: I asked and they accepted
P2 & P1 (looking at eachother and laughing) : get us also a job in your company
P2: so what were your favourite subjects in college
Me: Data structures

A few questions about bread-first and depth-first searches, binary tree and so on

Me: I also like Artificial Intelligence
P2: why did you say also?
Me: sir, it must have come out that way since not many people in the class understood and I taught most of them informally that is
P2: and you say you are not hard-working
Me: I think I can put in a lot more effort

P1: Hobbies, extra circular activities
Me: I enjoy reading books and follow football
P2: what do you mean ' follow football'?
Me: I watch a lot on TV and even read websites
P2: what do you read?
Me: anything I can lay my hands, of late I am reading ..., PG Wodehouse is a favourite and I started off my reading with the Bible

This started off a 5 minutes discussion with P1 trying to argue arbitrarily.

Then they were done with me and said thank you and I stood up
P2: Good luck
P1: what other calls do you have?
Me: sir, I have all calls from all the IIMs other than Bangalore
P1: why didn't bangalore call you?
Me: I don't know for sure
P1: what you don't have any idea? Just like that you left it?
Me: on analyzing ithink it might be because my academics aren't great or the distribution of my score in CAT is a bit skewed
P1: thank you
P2: thank you
me: thank you

I walk out with my file, jumping since my interview season is over.

Then 2 days later my mother finds out that my interview-data form came back with my original and we had to send it by courier(or post or whatever I am not sure)

No comments: